The Township of North Stormont recognizes the valued contributions being provided through the volunteer efforts of community organizations and agencies on behalf of the citizens. Municipal grant funding demonstrates Council’s commitment to working with groups which provide these beneficial programs, services or projects to the community while at the same time recognizing the financial constraints impacting the Township’s ability to provide funding to these groups.
Every year the Municipality receives more grant requests than it can fund. The aim of the ‘Municipal Grants Program’ is to share available resources throughout the municipality. Grants are intended to provide modest levels of support and assistance to community non-profit organizations. Council will, through its annual operating budget, determine the amount of funds to be allocated to the grant program. Council will retain the right to make the final decision on both the overall grant allocation and the individual grant.
Fill out this PDF below and email the filled out application to firstname.lastname@example.org.
2022 Municipal Grant Fillable Application
Types of Grants
The different types of grants awarded under the Municipal Grants Program are as identified.
- “Community Project” grants is defined as one-time assistance either as seed funding for the start-up of an organization/project, or funds for a short-term undertaking with a start-up and completion date or loan guarantees to assist an organization in acquiring the financial assistance, from financial institutions, needed to support the construction of the project or support for a specific project.
- “Corporate” grants are defined as operating funding to assist with the general operating expenses of the group, including administrative costs and program-related expenses.
- “In-Kind Contributions” grants are based on the provision of municipal property/facilities, materials or resources to an applicant, and do not include the provision of cash funds to, or on behalf of, the applicant. While cash funds are not provided in relation to In-Kind grants, it is recognized that such grants will involve either an expense or foregone revenue for the municipality. Each application for In-Kind grants will include the estimated value of the application under consideration.
- “Special Events” are defined as any one-time or first-time event that is of cultural, social or recreational significance to the community and which may have the participation of more than one organization.
- “Community Event” is defined as a recurring event that Council has determined provides some significant benefit to the broad community, and is open to all members of the public.
An applicant organization must meet the following general criteria in order to be considered for a Township grant:
- Grants are awarded by the type of project, not the type of organization/agency.
- There can only be one application per organization/project.
- Grant applicants should be able to demonstrate active fundraising efforts to support the continuation of a program, project or service. The Township of North Stormont grant should not be considered as the primary source of funding for the organization.
- Funding requests can be defined as events/projects/programs that support, sustain, promote, inform, educate, celebrate, preserve, and/or provide access to the arts, culture, environment, heritage, recreation and/or health activities.
- Request for financial assistance for events of a municipal, provincial or national significance which would be expected to bring economic and/or public relations benefit to the Township.
- Each application must demonstrate there is a need for financial assistance and that adequate funding from other sources is not available.
- To qualify for funding, the group must demonstrate its commitment to all of the following principles:
- effectiveness; and
- accountability through sound management and financial practices.
- Individuals are not eligible
- Funding will not be provided for accumulated deficits or funding shortfalls of any organization. Financial assistance consideration is based only on budget revenues and expenditures in the year for which the assistance is requested.
- The applicant organization, within the current fiscal year, must spend grant funding on the sole purpose for which it was awarded.
The Township WILL NOT fund:
- For-profit organizations or businesses;
- Organizations and/or activities of a political nature;
- Organizations where the service component is conditional upon participation in the religious activities or the organization;
- Regional, provincial and national events;
- Travel expenses for teams to compete outside of the Township;
- The Organizations which provide honorariums to its Board Members;
- Activities benefiting the organization members only.
- Activities that will require for paid staff to attend and asking for their salaries to be covered.
- Organizations which have not submitted previous years financial information in format requested.